Friday, July 27, 2018

Offseason as a Female Bodybuilder

**NOTE: Please remember this blog is based on my personal experiences and opinions, all individuals may or may not experience of feel the same way about this. **




As I have made mention before and many individuals understand that the shredded physique of an onstage competitor is almost physically impossible to maintain all year long, (however there are those few genetic freaks that are capable).  It not only wreaks havoc on the overall health of the body but can cause issues with the metabolism, hormone imbalance and a slew of other health hazards without allowing the body to heal from a contest depletion state.

So I often get asked "What is it like to go from stage lean, to a softer physique?" Honestly it's a mix of pure hell mentally and a feeling of relief and relaxation. Let me explain...

Dieting for 20-30 weeks (Yes, my coach diets me a little bit longer than a standard prep) into a single digit bodyfat percentage and slowly reversing back into a healthy weight and fat range is complete mental fuckery. It messes with your head and the thought of getting additional fat added back onto the body you have worked so hard to deplete is exhausting. Each year I always think it will be easier to adjust to an offseason and each year I find myself more critical of myself compared to the following year.

The fact is though, that's why this sport of bodybuilding is so challenging, because you have to add fat and water weight back onto your body frame to improve for the next season. You have to allow your body to heal and recover from the extensive damage that it has gone through during prep and without recovery and trying to hold onto the consistency of remaining lean can cause detrimental affects (as previously mentioned above).

So the truth is - for me personally, as well as many of my close friends who compete, the first few weeks post show are the worst. You constantly are checking the mirror to desperately hold onto the last few reminisce of the shredded abs that enveloped your stomach for the last few months. You try to excessively do cardio to retrieve back what you lost and the feeling of your clothes getting tighter on the body causes unhealthy obsessions with the scale and dieting. Sometimes I hide behind baggy sweatshirts and sweatpants to hide my weight gain. It's a rough transition and some competitors will do one show and the post show mental health will be the end of the competing days.

As I mention in almost all my blogs, competing is a choice, it is a privilege that not all of us can do. It is NOT a sacrifice, it is an overly expensive hobby that many of you who are reading this (including myself) find a sense of purpose with. It is a sport that test your mental strengths just as much as physical and at the end of the day we spend thousands of dollars to step on stage and pay for the opinion of an individual who tells us we are not good enough. Think about it,  I know it's a tough truth to read. It's not a positive thing, nor a negative thing. It simply is a fact of the sport.

So once off-season weight is on and the additional fat is put back on there are many positives to being in off-season.  For one, the diet is much more relaxed. Now I am not saying I can eat whatever the hell I want day in and day out. Most competitors like myself, work with a coach both on and off-season to utilize the additional weight and fat gain for overall improvements in the physique.


Off-Season Positives :

- Your strength significantly increases
- Your mood is 1000% more stabilized
- You have much more control over time management
- You feel a sense of balance in your life
- Saving some additional money


Off-Season Negatives :

- Gaining weight (fat and water)
- Tighter Clothes
- Feelings of "Lack of Purpose (aka regimen/routine towards a goal)
- Post- Show Depression (aka Post Show Blues)



The worst thing that personally I deal with during my off-season is when people are stunned to see that I am not stage lean.  Some of the things that have been said to me over the years (through my years of competing during my offseason):

- "How did you get fat so fast"?
- "Are you sick"?
- "Are you pregnant"?
- "I thought you competed"?
- "Do you not bodybuild anymore"?
- " Why did you diet so hard, if you were just gonna put the weight back on"?
- "Are your pictures photo shopped, I thought you were lean and muscular"

More so than not, females get this more due to women having a higher estrogen level and genetically carry more fat compared to males. I have developed thick skin in the public eye when it comes to comments.  I typically don't let anything overwhelm me until I get home, then I typically tell Kyle (spouse) who then tells Bill (coach) and then they both work their magic to make me semi levelheaded again.

 Now I do have to make a note that the comments above have been over the years of competing. My first ever show I did the infamous binge on everything for about 6 days straight after dieting.  I put on about 30lbs in those 6 days and it was the absolute worst feeling ever.  However after working with a proper coach and having the ability and privilege to compete year after year my off-season is much more under control but it is still a struggle putting on those first few pounds post show.




<<< My First Off Season Post Show @ 200lbs
<<< Stage Weight 145lbs 

My Third Offseason Pre Show @ 187 lbs >
Stage Weight @137lbs >>>>



 <<<My Sixth Offseason Pre-show @ 165lbs 
<<< Stage Weight @ 130lbs



My Seventh Season stage weight @ 120lbs >>>>>

Offseason @150lbs >>>



As you can see from a few of my past years of competing it takes time for your body to adapt into a controlled offseason. Be patient and know that each year your body will change and adapt a little differently towards your goals.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Shannon, i just discover you blog and i love to read all of your experiences with FBB, how you see the pros and cons, i admire you because this road is a tought one, thanks for sharing this to us, i wish you the best of luck with your baby and hope to see more of your blogs entries, you are truly an amazing person

    Yolcatl

    ReplyDelete
  2. For last many year fondness of body building has speeded to all gender. What are the prone and cons for female?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing all the pros and cons of FBB, I am admiring you because this is a tough road to go on, and I hope to see more of your blog entries in the future, you are truly an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Contact us anytime with any questions or concerns, or to learn more about our unique mission and work or to become involved yourself. We always do our best to respond within 24 hours. online workout classes in california | Sierra Fit Club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you this great piece of content. I also came across something like this too and you can try it out https://www.total-health.xyz/how-to-become-a-female-bodybuilder/

    ReplyDelete