Friday, December 15, 2017

You Asked, I Answered...

I have had  an outpour of responses from both Instagram and Facebook with certain curiosities about my training.  Here are
some of the most common questions I was asked.

What Carb Ratio Balance do you balance with in your off-season? - A.W.

I don't follow a particular carb ratio balance. Each season fluctuates my carb intake. Currently I am at 70g of carbohydrates a day. 30g with meal 1 and 20g pre workout followed by 20g post workout. My  coach typically plays around  with my carbs throughout the season. I have a very sensitive reaction to carbs so minimal carbs work best for me in order for me to grow each season.

How Old Are You? What's Your Diet? - R.M

Currently,  I am 25 years old, my diet consists of lean proteins like chicken and Turkey. Lots of green vegetable, rice and oats, eggs both whole eggs and egg whites. Whey isolate protein and natural peanut butter. I eat the same types of food year round, however my portions, the number of meals and how I eat them changes.

How Do You Train to get big round shoulders like yours? -P.L

Train with Intensity and Cut off all distractions.

This is my current shoulder workout:
-Seated DB Shoulder Press: 25lb-2x12, 35-1x8, 45lb-1x8, 55lb- 1x8, 65lb-1x8, 75lb- 1x8
- Seated Front Raises: 25lb- 5x10
-Seated Lateral Raises: 25lb- 5x10
- Kettlebell Swings: 25lb- 3x15
- Single Arm Shoulder Press: 35lb-5x8 (each side)
- Row Grip Pull-Ups: 3x10
- Shoulder Press Machine: Dropset- 120lb x8, 100lb x10, 80lb x12, 60lb x15, 40x until failure
- Single Arm Cable Front Raises: 1 set-Burnouts Each Arm 25lb
- Single Arm Cable Lateral Raises: 1 set-Burnouts Each Arm 25lb
- Cable Crossovers: 45lb- 5x25


Is it Tough Dealing with the Stereotypes (Feminine and Pretty)? Do You Even Acknowledge Stereotypes?  - A.M.

After having a larger amount of muscle mass for sometime I am much more comfortable with accepting that I am different than the typical stereotype female. I still maintain a feminine look (although some might disagree) and have already accepted that I will never look like the standard stereotypical female and I am okay with that. I am happy with what I have achieved. My fiance loves me and supports me, I have an amazing team at War Room Nutrition that help push me to my limits and my amazing sister, brother-in-law, and friends who stand by my side and that's all that I care about in regards to opinions.

High Volume Training Vs. Low Volume High Intensity?  When to Switch? - G.W.

During my off-season my current training involves all high volume training 6 days a week. I train each muscle isolated, so I have a solid recovery time between each muscle group before I train again.  This helps me build strength and grow my muscles . During my prep season I always train with low volume and high intensity, I am not looking to increase my strength during my prep season so maintaining my muscles shape and fullness is ideal. Low Volume with high intensity for me carves out detail, prevents injuries and ensures the best development of muacle shape

 Can the same Nutrition plan be implemented for various types of people? - V.B

I am not an expert by any means when it comes to diet and nutrition. Yes, I am educated in nutrition and do online coaching.  However each individual is different and different bodies with different goals require different types of nutritional guidance. So the answer is No, each individual will require a nutritional plan catered to their needs, it could mean the difference of 10g of carbs, etc.  each individual responds uniquely to different types of programs.  That is why it is crucial for competitors to stick with the same coach throughout each season, as your body adapts and changes with your program plan, your coach is able to analyze how your body has responded through the changes and can create beneficial changes as time goes on.

What are your weak points of your Physique? - J.Q


Competitors are always trying to progress but never perfect. My weak areas are my hamstrings and glutes so I train legs twice a week in order to maximize my progress during off-season.


Do You ever eat unhealthy? 

Bodybuilders are regular people too. We have food cravings, cheat meals, and even full-on guilty binges. It's part of life, part of being human. We eat like shit on occassion We crave sweets and carb-laden foods. The difference though between a bodybuilder and a normal person is that we have a limit. We know when its time to diet and restrict are caloric intake and we can do it with a flick of a switch.

My cravings typically involve gummy candy. Let me tell you something, I can eat the shit out of candy. Like $30 worth of gummy worms in under ten mins.



Curious about your workout schedule in all aspects, and kind of related, can anyone get your physique if they put in the work, or is it genetics that make a bodybuilders physique? - M.M.

There is a misconception about training as a bodybuilder that many people have a hard time believing. I'm going to say this as easily as possible.
My workouts are very simple and boring. I do not do crazy workouts or intrinsic type movements. I train hard  and as long as my body can handle. I eat to perform and refeed when I am told to.
My life is very routine and regimented and I live off schedules and routine.  I will say this. My training style involves isolating single muscle groups each workout. It seems to work best for my body and I have had the best success  for overall growth and strength with isolated training.  This may be not  work  best for your body...remember everyone is different.
My current training looks a lot like this:

Sunday: Cardio and Leg Day with Coach Bill Tocco
Monday:  Cardio and Rest Day
Tuesday: Cardio and Back
Wednesday: HIIT and Legs - Hamstring Dominant
Thursday: Cardio and Arms (Both Biceps and Triceps)
Friday: Cardio and Shoulders and Abs
Saturday: Cardio and  Chest with Coach Bill Tocco

My training during off-season involves a ton of supersets with heavy weights.
For example for legs I'll squat 315 for 6-8 reps then superset with weighted walking lunges or Bulgarians. I'll take a nice 2 min break in between and repeat 3 times and then increase weight and continue with working sets until my form gets sloppy.

I 100% believe that anybody can get to the level of a competitors physique as long as they have the time commitment, financial stability and overall goal to step into that lifestyle.  Routine is very crucial to develop a substantial physique so as long as the key elements of training, diet, and rest all line up and are consistent daily along with proper guidance, anybody can get to the physique level that they wish to obtain.  

1 comment: