Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The People Who Started My Bodybuilding: My Journey Fast Tracked

Do you remember how you started your fitness journey? Who was there along the way to help and guide you?

Every one of us started out the same way, we chose a lifestyle change and did it. We all had to start out in a new environment and face the intimidation factor, the anxiety of starting something new and the chance to make a new hobby for yourself.


As each of us go through our journey we meet individuals who support us and guide us into the direction that we are hoping to achieve. I wanted to bring attention to this because as we all go through our fitness journeys we sometimes forget how we got to the point we are at, who has helped us along the way and the selfish factors we have had to get accustom to acknowledging within our lives.

My parents, sister, and brother-in-law have always been on my side cheering for me. Although my parents have finally accepted my lifestyle, it took some time. But the support of my family has been the intial driving force for me to continue with my journey.

When I first started bodybuilding and competing I wanted to do one show to see how it would go. I originally was a runner and my running partner at the time Adam had just gotten into crossfit and had given me a pair of adjustable dumbbells (the good kind, the kind you can adjust the weights). I started doing P90x regularly using those weights and continued running with Adam in the morning and lifting weights at night. I packed on muscle fast with the weight lifting, and seeing how my body reacted, I switched to a gym membership quickly to see how far I could push my body.

 I began training in the gym hard. I had my first personal trainer Mike, who helped introduce me to the art of dieting and nutrition and placed me in a focused mindset and allowed me to discover what my body was actually capable during the muscle growing process. Mike guided me tremendously and within a 4 month time working with him I was able to really understand how crucial proper lifting, consistency and discipline can work wonders with the body.  He helped me develop a love for lifting and it was from Mike the gym and I learned a prosperous relationship.


 My first pictures of my lifting progress. Taken in 2013. 



 I had an amazing lifting partner Shawn (my first real lifting partner) who would lift with me daily, we would push each other, motivate each other and he helped me find my inner strength . Daily we would meet each other and lift, challenging and pushing each other, hitting PR's working on new diets and nutrition together and overall just enjoying the gym in a routine. When I decided to switch gyms , Shawn switched with me and he continued to train with me regularly. He came to my first NPC show and was the number one supporter for me in the beginning of my career and I can honestly say without him I probably would not be where I am today in the sport.

When I switched gyms, I switched trainers and parted ways with Mike and started training with Phill, Kay and Ben. These three trainers together  shaped me into the direction I have taken today. Phill has been my mentor for over 5 years now helping me on and off from posing, dieting, transitions from off-season to on-season and keeping up with valuable insights on his own personal reflection of bodybuilding. Ben was my trainer, I trained with him 2x a week for months and worked on developing my legs and strength and overall physique. With Ben I first squatted 405lbs, I was able to watch as my form progressively improve and my strength increase. As Ben moved on from the gym, I then began working with my beautiful friend Kaylyn. Kay and I went way back as we went to middle school and high school together,  we had been friends for a long time so having a training relationship  along with a genuine friendship made it very easy to train hard with her as she gave me the honest facts about competing.  Kay shaped me for my first show, both Ben, Phill and Kay helped me with posing, diet and overall stage presence and after I won my first overall in Women's Physique I was hooked on the sport. Along with switching gyms I met a ton of new athletes and gym goers who constantly gave me support and motivation of days I wasn't feeling it. Austin and Annette became two pretty important people in my life as I worked out in the new gym. Annette (I will bring her back in later) was prepping for her first show at the time as well so it was nice to feed off each other during our prep. Austin has actually been in my life since I was about 4, we went to high school together, but lost touch until after I graduated and it was there at the gym we reconnected and he became my biggest supporter  and motivator, and he still is to this day.



It was after my first prep I wanted to go bigger I wanted to do a national qualifier show, I wanted to try and save some money and do it on my own with minimal guidance from my trainers and competed in the Michigan in 2015 and won the title of Miss Michigan Physique. 20 weeks later was the NPC National Show and decided I was just gonna go for it and compete. Stupidly, I though I could coach myself for my first National show (it was a poor choice on my part) and 5 weeks out from my first National Show I panicked. One of my Instagram followers and mutual friends actually reached out to me and asked how my prep was going and noticed I was having some issues during my prep and told me to reach out to Bill Tocco of War Room Nutrition. At this time I was pretty much broke, I had spent so much money on training, my registration for the show and my suit (it was a mess, I know) . I didn't even know how I could afford a coach or travel to even get down to Florida. Bill simply said send me your current diet and let's start from there. For 5 weeks I worked tirelessly with Bill reshaping my body as best as I could to step on stage. Now for those of you who don't know, a national show requires extensive prep. It is almost impossible to get a body conditioned to a proper state in 5 weeks time and expect to place in first call outs. I knew that but I still wanted to do it. Bill said we would do a trial together, he worked with me for 5 weeks up to Nationals and as best as he could peaked my body and from that trail we would see if we would be a good fit as a coach and client.



At the time I was working as a Bank Teller at a local bank and one of my frequent customers, Rod, had taken an interest in my bodybuilding and my goals.  After sometime of talking about my ambitions and goals with Rod and how I wanted to go to Nationals but wasn't sure how I was going to be able afford it, Rod simply handed me $200.00 and said "Book a flight to get to Nationals" that gesture alone helped me realize that there are people in this world, when you least expect it, to help push you to get to the next level mindset you need. I booked my flight that night and one week later I was competing in Miami Nationals 2015.

For my first National Show, working with a coach for 5 weeks and I got 3rd call outs, it wasn't the best but it was an eye opener to me about how crucial a consistent coach and training has to be in order to prosper in this sport. From that National Show in 2015, currently and for my length of my bodybuilding career I will be working with Bill Tocco. Bill has been an incredible coach from the start and pushes my body to its limits, has shaped my physique tremendously over the past 2 years working with him and with every coach, he finally has learned how my body adapts to stress, change, water, carbs, etc. A special note out there to competitors jumping coach to coach. Stop. Stick with one and be done. It takes time for coaches to learn the your body and how it adapts. So if your coach is committed to you , just be patient.



Joining with Bill. I also gained some amazing Team Members of War Room Nutrition. My teammate and friend Tommy, who had huge success in the Michigan NPC in bodybuilding is an anchor for the team. Keeping the positivity and motivation going as we all grind it out daily.  Literally anytime of day I can text this man and he will respond with the most intellectual and motivational shit you have ever heard. It makes you want to just drop what you are doing and go workout. Tommy and I get along very well because we both have that genuine passion for the sport and it's amazing to see how far he has come with Bill and how his physique has changed over the years.



Along with Tommy I met my best friend Christy, who has been a frequent training partner of mine as well. She has been my rock through each show, traveling to support me regardless of the distance, lending me suits, doing my hair and makeup when April wasn't able, and just overall being an amazing friend even when she has a zillion other things going on in her life. April, Bill's wife, and the artist behind my stage hair and makeup never seizes to amaze me with her flawless hair designs and makeup for each of my shows. She goes above and beyond with her talents and I am so thankful to always have her to beautify me when I desperately need it. Annette (mentioned earlier) reached out to me about my prep and current coach after she needed a change and she joined with Team War Room and has been a rock and training partner to me as soon as she joined the team.

After joining the team I did my first full prep with Bill and competed in the 2016 Jr Nationals where I got 2nd call outs in the Show. In comparison to my physique, it at the time was my best physique to date and as amped as I was and literally did not think it could get better Bill had me jump into a local show 2 weeks after Jr  Nationals and peak my physique even more. It was at the Nicole Wilkins Show that I met my beautiful friend Janelle, she was new to the sport and doing her Women's Physique debut and for anyone who has been backstage at a show, it's a lot of comparing and eyeing each other up and your mind just keeps doubting you as you prepped to go on stage. I'm very personable,  like to the point where I talk too much, but Janelle and I began to converse and talk about our journeys to the stage and after competing in this show we stayed in touch and now she has become one of my close friends and she helps me through all of my life issues.

Shortly after the Nicole Wilkins Show in 2016 I took some time off to grow and get bigger. I graduated college and was trying to figure out my next move in life when out of the blue I met my future husband, Kyle Baxter.  Kyle and I met through Instagram ( I know crazy social media 20th century story) and after our first date we were pretty much inseparable,  however I made it very clear that bodybuilding was my primary focus. Kyle had no issue with that as he, himself was an avid lifter and Sargent in United States Army so staying in shape, routine and regiment was already apart of his lifestyle.  Kyle asked me to move to Kansas (as that was where he was stationed) and 2 months after we had started dating I did. Before I moved I met with Bill got a game plan and stayed committed to the team, my training and kept in constant contact with him throughout my time in Kansas. First plan once I moved, new gym.



Gym found within 12 hours of moving. The Foundation in Manhattan, KS. My new home away from home and I continued my journey and met a ton of amazing new people who have helped me tremendously through my journey. It was amazing to find a gym so genuine with bodybuilding passion. It's literally like stepping into a place where every person is passionate about the sport and helps and guides each to reach their next stepping stone. That is exactly how The Foundation is. Meeting people who share the same passion makes your goals much more focused and obtainable. For almost a year I trained in a new state with new friends. My physique grew both in size, strength and mentality.

Moving home to Michigan again, my focus never stopped I began prep immediately after getting home and worked tirelessly with Bill and trained with both teammates Annette and Christy multiple times a week to make sure I was on track for prep.
I competed in two more national qualifiers in 2017 with my Teammate Tommy and took first in both shows, requalifying me for a solid 2018 season.

As the 2018 season has began I have huge things on my plate and am focused more than ever on my show and continually pursing that IFBB pro card. As I look back from then to now, if I hadn't met any of these people, in the order I did I would never have ended up where I am now. My past year has been a whirlwind of excitement and I can only evolve from here. I geuninely just have to give thanks to my rocks and motivators through my entire process. Without each of your help, no matter how big or little, it has allowed me to progress into the athlete that I am today.




1 comment:

  1. It good that you work out why do want to be bodybuilder and why you want to have muscle's and good luck going to gym Shannon

    From

    John moore

    ReplyDelete